I'll Get You My Pretty! Not. Kindness Challenge, Week 2

selfCompassionGrim, that is how the Kindness Challenge’s self-compassion week felt! Self-love week was joyous while unloved and unseen parts bathed themselves in self-love, enjoying the warmth and healing. But self-compassion the sacred act of suffering with the suffering parts of myself; totally sucked!

To support and encourage the suffering parts, I required a “face” of self-compassion. A familiar icon that personifies hope so my barely mobile suffering parts have a guru to crawl toward, to look at, to connect to self-compassion’s healing powers.

Having faith that an idea would emerge, I returned to my daily tasks. With a few twists of her magic wand somewhere from my subconscious she created an opening and emerged. It was the famous Dorothy’s compassionate and guiding force along the Yellow Brick Road en route to the Wizard of Oz. Glinda the Good Witch.glindaselfcompassion

Glinda was the perfect self-compassion guru! She was present, loving, peaceful, and wise. She gently shared wisdom while radiating confidence in Dorothy’s innate intelligence to untangle her disorientation. I hired Glinda! She was now the face of my self-compassion.

With Glinda The Good Witch on board, I bravely confronted my wicked witch part that criticized me bitterly, judgmentally, and was rage filled. The infinite criticism stopped me in my tracks because I believed my wicked witch! This critical wicked witch filled my stomach with pain and body with paralysis.

Glinda The Good Witch of my self-compassion ascended wearing her ball gown, twisting her magic wand while her tiara sparkled. I felt an encouraging shift as Glinda and my self-compassion arrived. The paralysis was melting. The wicked witch of criticism was so righteous and self-centered she didn’t see self-compassion also known as Glinda silently emerging.

Once my mind’s eye glimpsed Glinda surfacing in the periphery, I internally shifted my attention toward her. The simple act of placing my attention on Glinda slowly diminished the wicked witch’s voice and rage filled energy. Glinda’s compassionate energy took root within me. I sensed my task was to remain focused on Glinda’s compassion. This simple act of sliding my attention away from my critical wicked witch would cause her nasty effects to fade. Glinda stood by my side until my complete attention was transferred from self-criticism to self-compassion.

With my face turned toward Glinda, she gently placed her guiding hand on my chin and another on my cheek. She asked me to mentally review my entire day not only a slice of it. To support my imaginary walk thru my day, with reverence and care, she slowly turned my head from the left to the right. I could see the ruins of darkness and anger at my left which was the damage caused by the critical inner wicked witch. The day’s landscape transformed as my head was guided right. There was brightness, a sense of peacefulness, a quiet rhythmic productive feeling, and a necessary sense of relaxation as well.

My self-compassion guru was showing me that my day contained a variety of feelings, mishaps, and accomplishments. This guided tour, made me realize that my inner wicked witch arrives via her broomstick to criticize me when I am hyper focused on a real or imagined unsuccessful event.  Inviting her to stay and listening to my wicked witch’s negative claims is like drinking a potion that shifts my perception away from the rightful day’s events and experiences and turns them into the critical wicked witch’s truth.

When I access, welcome, and live the energy of self-compassion, my critical inner wicked witch melts just like in the Wizard of Oz movie. Her power is stripped in the face of caring and wise self-compassion.

As I ingest this astounding realization of the power of self-compassion, I can hear Glinda say to me as she said to Dorothy…

“You’ve always had the power my dear, you just had to learn it for yourself. “

Comments (18)

mjga

Love this! Powerful transformation with the click of your heels ❤️

Julia

Thanks so much for using the Wizard of Oz reference in your comment. xo.

Rosie Amber

Great idea and examples.

Julia

Thanks for your comment. I appreciate it!

Deborah Weber

LOL – I totally love this. Yay you! Yay Glinda! A most wise team indeed.

Julia

I appreciate your noting the connection I was trying to make with Glinda. I’m keeping her around long past the Kindness Challenge she is indeed a wise team member. Thanks for commenting!!!

Love it Now

Nice combination with Wizard of Oz😄 and indeed, we have more power than we realize

Niki

I absolutely love this!! While going into this wasn’t exciting and quite uncomfortable, you showed incredible courage moving forward anyway. What an amazing week! Thank you so much for sharing, Julia. May Glinda continue to accompany you on this journey ahead. Continue to follow the yellow brick road <3

Julia

Thanks Niki! Thanks for making a big deal of the Glinda connection. I appreciate your encouraging words and notes of courage. Glinda getting involved changed the whole week.

Niki

I’m so happy to hear that! Reading it filled my heart with joy for you! May this be something you look back on fondly and empower you whenever you need it <3

Patricia

The two witches…I can hear the cackle of the one and the love of they other. O/ you for listening to the love. Great illustration of your thoughts.

Julia

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate your words…..so much!

Jenn

Its tough to ignore that wicked inner negativity and self criticism. However, I think it’s great you’re making a conscious effort to listen to your inner Glenda !

pempispalace

Oh this was such a GREAT post – how wonderful to enlist Glinda – I felt like cheering 🙂 I think this week we’ve all been realising how much grief our inner voice gives us when we certainly wouldn’t do that to others! The task of going back to childhood certainly helped me redefine what my inner voice should be doing for me – being supportive NOT negative and disparaging!!

Melissa Turenne

Beautiful! Loved the image of Glenda. I might hire her too!

Mary Lou

Yes!!! What a great way to bring the message home! It’s like we have the two voices in us dueling it out and it’s up to us who we let win the argument ~ Glinda the Good Witch ~ of course! We all had the power all along! 😀

Julia

Thanks for your comments! We do have the power…I don’t know how we keep forgetting that. :>

• Me in the Middle of Kindness Challenge Finale | Me In The Middle